Use the freshest ingredients you can find for William’s Fresh Kale Bake recipe. I even recommend getting as much as you can from your local farmers market. Enjoy!
- 2 bunches small kale
- 2 medium shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 whole nutmeg berry, for grating
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Wash and stem kale, pat dry.
- Role kale leaves and slice into 2″ ribbons.
- Mince shallots and garlic.
- Slowly heat butter in a large saute pan.
- Add shallots and garlic and slowly saute.
- Add kale, saute until wilted, plus one (1) minute over medium heat.
- Remove mixture to a colander over a bowl and let drain.
- Reserve liquid for another culinary project (see “helpful hint”)
- Combine cheeses, panko crumbs and thyme.
- Using a fine grater, delicately grate fresh nutmeg berry and very lightly seasoning cheese mixture.
- Place drained kale in individual ramekins or a baking dish.
- Top with cheese mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees (or until cheese is melted and kale rewarmed).
- Serve and enjoy!
Helpful Hint: The reserved kale mixture makes for an excellent enhancement or flavoring agent for vegetable soups and pasta sauces. Freeze in a cube tray for future use!